Board MeetingMar 14, 2012 06:30 pm

Location: Arvada Community Food Bank

Agenda

  • call meeting to order
  • approve past minutes
  • any member comments/discussion
  • financial report
  • website update
  • membership update
  • tag matches
  • tournament updates
  • other events
  • course issues
  • new business
  • adjourn

Minutes

Call to order 6:33p

Attendees - Ray Woodruff, Marsha Sonderfan, Dave Slocum, John Bird, Dan Gargan, Camden Farmer, Tom Hamilton, David Straight, Ken Hughes, Dough Bjerkaas and Jay Burghardt

February Minutes were voted on and approved.

Finances - Ken passed around sheets of the clubs checks and balances. He was pleased how the club's finances are sitting with most debits and credits at this time, accounted for. Minutes were voted on and approved.

Membership - Dave Straight informed us that the club has officially 196 members signed up, but says there are many still outstanding and knows the numbers are already climbing.

He also commented that the weekly tag matches are now up and running and will all be at 5p until it stays longer later and the tag masters choose to change it.

Upcoming events.

Spring Fling - Marsha, happy anniversary, spoke about the upcoming event. She said things are looking good. She has Oskar Blues food wagon coming out for the lunches. Volunteers get a free meal, while the Wagon will be there for others to buy lunch. She said she has sponsorships from New Belgium as well as Phenix. She said players will be allowed to check in at Phoenix up until 5p on Friday, then at the course for doubles, and finally, in the mornings. She is hoping many will use the check in beforehand to avoid some of the craziness each morning. Tom said he is working on the t-shirts. She asked John if he could check with the city to put in hole 8 just for the pros. He said he will look into it. John will also check up on the porta potty for the tourney. Doubles will start at 430p.

Grudge Match - Dave and Cam spoke of the upcoming grudge match play on April 28th. They said it would be a fundraiser for the Rocky Mountain Women's Championship and the 2012 Mile High Classic.

Rocky Mountain Women's Championship - Doug spoke of the upcoming event. He said that 38 have confirmed signed up, and that the Jr s division only has 2 more spots available.

Ace Race - Dave said he has sights on Labor Day for the annual Ace Race. He also asked if it was ok to use the proceeds to go into the Mile High Disc Golf Junior account, for future events.

Johnny Roberts - Tom spoke of his plans for the 2012 Johnny Roberts Memorial this year. He plans on using two courses, Johnny Roberts and Colorado Heights, with the awards being held at the University's cafeteria.

MHC - Dave Straight mentioned the Team Neapolitan is looking at Ruby Hill Park for the one day event this year and has already been in contact with the city about possibly using it.

Course issues

Johnny Roberts - Tom spoke of the upcoming work day. He said he hoped to build up some areas where it is eroding, and hope to make flat "greens" for a couple, using donated bricks the city has.

Highlands elementary School - Doug Bjerkaas mentioned that a local elementary school has installed a 9 hole disc golf course near Arapahoe and Broadway.

Colorado Heights University - Doug mentioned that as of now, CHU has no plans to cap memberships though the number is nearing 200. He said there were a couple of people that have had issues, but that was worked out and all is good.

Old Business

Ranger Program - Dan Gargan asked about the Ranger program. John Bird explained it was talked about the month before, and that it would be difficult to get volunteers that would be willing to don a uniform and allow background checks on them.

New Business

US Women's Disc Golf Championship - Doug also tossed out the possibility of Colorado Heights hosting the US Women's Championship along with Jim Cannon's mansion course. oohs and ahhs followed.

Sanctioned Leagues - Sanctioned leagues was mentioned, and that it would be handled by Rob Liebman and Dave Sugar. The board agree to hear what they had to say, but did not want to respond to emails, and requested that one or both of them come to the next meeting to "splainin" themselves and what their thoughts are, and what, if anything, is needed by the club.

Meeting adjourned at 830p